"whoever touches us, teaches us....."

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sawdust in My Shoes

The hard part is hours and hours of sanding. These aren't your typical boards from the big box home improvement store. This wood is black walnut from a specialty wood store, only they obviously don't think their wood is special enough for a little TLC, as it is rough cut and uneven.
The wood  in this photo is really beautiful to me. It has so much movement;  the grain seems to ebb and flow downstream. The piles of sawdust look like the sandy shores, waiting for the waves to lap across .






Lest you think that I put in those hours, let me just tell you...not even close. My job was to keep the ice water flowing as it was a high 90's  kind of day. I got the easy job and some of us got the hard job, but that's the way it goes.
I can't wait to see the finished
product; I think the worst is behind us (him), but there is still a little more sanding to go. Soon I will post some updates that will hopefully be the final "after" shots! I am excited !


I love these hands....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the warmth and richness that wood adds. Black Walnut sounds perfect for this project. And isn't it a bonus to have a man who is handy. :-)

secret agent woman said...

The grain on that is beautiful.

Vicki Lane said...

My husband is a woodworker and it's such a minor miracle to see the beauty hissed in rough lumber emerge.

Beautiful sanding shot -- looks like a beach.