"whoever touches us, teaches us....."

Friday, June 6, 2008

Going Green

We are going green at my house......trying to anyway. I keep reading how every little bit helps, so we are trying, in baby steps, to be more conscientious in our re-use of stuff. I quit buying paper napkins, and we use cloth. I figure they can be thrown in the washing machine that is being run anyway. I am not quite ready to forgo paper towels though. I use them so much, I don't know what could replace them. I also quit using the grocery stores bags, both paper and plastic. I never could get a clear answer on which had the less negative impact; so I bought the 99 cent reusable bags that most of the stores sell now. I think they should give them to you . You go in and pick up a few things for dinner and WHAM!! ...$100 just like that. The least they could do is throw in a 99 cent bag for free. We have started recycling now that my neighborhood has a good program . I used to generate a lot of garbage. I had to empty my inside garbage bag once every day or so. Now, since we no longer put in glass, cans, or plastic, it takes me a week to fill it up. At least I don't have to take the garbage out as much. But then the whole thing seems futile, when I listen to my air conditioner. I have been home for about 3 hours, have it set on 75..and it hasn't shut off yet. Ridiculous heat. Waste of energy. Can't wait to see what June Alabama Power has in store for me. At least doubled , I bet....sigh.

This was my sons recycle stuff. Mostly soft drinks, which he claims he no longer drinks. These cans he saved from last summer, til he could find a source to recycle them to.
Now this one is mostly my recycling. Strangely, it is mostly beer bottles (not all mine) and Listerine. Go figure.

7 comments:

LTYM said...

First of all, good for you! We've really turned green to the point of even unplugging everything that's not being used at that very moment.

And the beer and Listerine--LOL.

kats said...

About the 99c bags, I think people would use them as disposable if they came for free, don't you? Unless they did it only for a limited time. That could be an idea.

About recycling, we've been doing it for almost two years now and my recycle can is mostly filled with junk mail and bottles of wine.

100 Thoughts of Love said...

True about the bags...and there have been days when i left my bags in the car and was too darn lazy to wal out and get them...but we are trying. Its all about habits!

Anonymous said...

You are so right Pat.. it is all about establishing new habits.. which sometimes takes a bit. I too am trying.. mostly in baby steps. I have yet to buy the reusable grocery bags.. but am seriously thinking about it.

100 Thoughts of Love said...

collen they are really nice...very big and have handles, thus making it way easier to carry...! You just have to remember to take them in!!! Just like I have to remember to recycle..since we are new at this I have repeatedly fished stuff out of my garbage can, washed it and moved it to the recycle bin...well, working on it!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you - I really believe every step matters. My recycling bin is mostly beer/wie bottles and some soda cans form the kids. But I found a place that takes plastics 1-7, so that's added to it. I have hardly any trash now.

100 Thoughts of Love said...

our program only takes plastic 1-2..better then nothing. Oddly, I have little plastic, sans Listerine and Gain.