"whoever touches us, teaches us....."

Saturday, November 3, 2007

8 That he wants to build a house with his own hands


I have never had aspirations to build a house. My dream is to renovate one...myself !! My dream house has porches and cedar shingles, stone fireplaces and leaded glass, dormers and windows that let sunlight creep across the dark wood grains....
Larry's dream house is altogether different. His is built with his own hands. He has an interest in some sort of old art of building walls with cordwood/stackwood. It makes a beautiful pattern that looks sort of like stone. Apparently one can build this house for a fraction of the usual costs. I went so far as to look at some pictures of houses other people have built. One was built with blue glass bottles laid into the walls in a pattern. They catch the light and reflect in a dazzle of blue stars across the wall, like looking into the heavens. I can only imagine the satisfaction that building your own house would bring. An endeavor that would likely have lots of uh-ohs, but would ultimately result in a piece of architecture that is made up of your mind , body and soul. That's what dreams are; its who we are, where we are going, and the hope that takes us there. (picture courtesy of daycreek.com)

1 comment:

James Lindsay said...

Building a house from scratch... Someday, I will. From the actual plans to pounding the nails. At present, I'm doing a full renovation, which is pretty close to building from scratch, in this case. I've been adding and removing doorways (not just doors), re-building walls, bathrooms, bringing both plumbing and electrical up to code...

Great fun.